Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Impermanence & attachment

The attachment I feel for things
material and in my mind
is real
yet i see how in bondage it is

People, places things, behaviours
all and more I can be attached too
without even thinking about it

Impermanence
yeh I read that
I will die
but its uncertain when
and to die with as least regrets
is an aim

See I already got this ages ago
but I dont live this everyday
I try to, and notice when I take action
How I will feel as a result
obviuously I take the other person
or persons into account
but at then end of the day
in an unselfish way possible
I have to look after me

I see how everything in born and everything dies
and how to live and treat the world as if
i will never die
or rather as if I will be reborn again,
ie i will have to live in the world in my next life
so treat it well in this one
Look after the world for the next generation
as I will be in it
again selfishly unselfish

"Ask yourself these two questions: Do I remember at every moment that I am dying, and everyone and everything else is, and so treat all beings at all times with compassion? Has my understanding of death and impermanence become so keen and so urgent that I am devoting every second to the pursuit of enlightenment? If you can answer `yes' to both of these, then you have really understood impermanence"

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying P27

2 comments:

Shadow said...

i do not understand impermanance...

Syd said...

Johno,
I like the quote so much. Do you have other recommendations of books that deal with meditation? I am ordering the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying.