Sunday, June 17, 2007

Go for Gold, then, Give it away to Keep it

Like a gaunt prospector, belt drawn in over the
ounce of food, our pick struck gold. Joy at our release
from a lifetime of frustration knew no bounds.
Father feels he has struck something better than gold.
For a time he may try to hug the new treasure to himself.
He may not see at once that he has barely scratched a
limitless lode which will pay dividends only if he mines
it for the rest of his life and insists on giving
away the entire product. P128,129

I love this, its one of my favouritist bits

I used to only give so much information
at work or in family or friends etc
Fear that I might be seen as a failure
or that someone may "use" the information
and become better than me

Nowadays, it seems the more thats revealed to me
the more I want to give away freely
and the simpler life is

tell the truth

At work, I used to just keep skills
tricks, short cuts, resources to myself
I would give stuff away, if I felt like it
if i liked them, if I could be bothered
or if i did, i would judge managers etc
for not having done their jobs right in
recruitment etc etc people should know what to
do from the minute they walk through the door... right!!

AA's showed me what to do, I needed showing
from the minute I walked in the door
and then as soon as i had something
I HAD to GIVE it away to a newcomer
even when i wasn't sure what it was i had
Everything I mean EVERYTHING
Then later Practice this Principle in all my affairs

Mentoring someone at work last year
without being paid any extra really just helped me
(Inventory & Prayer helped me lose the greed & judgemental stuff)
Action in the form of helping a new recruit at work
took my mind off the death of my mother
during working hours & there was a lot of laughing
mostly about his impatience & his need for perfection NOW
(sounds earily familiar to me)

He came up with the same stuff as me and any other
had come up with doubts, impatience, willingness, fear
arrogance, pride
We encouraged each other and this big geyser
softened when at times I cried
us humans, we have everything in us we need
it just takes time & willingness for it to show itself

This guy was and still is himself
"a loveable PROUD dude with a sense of humour
and a sense of knowing what the right thing is"
Its cool to see the the process works for him when he works it
as it did and still does for me when I work it
Just like it worked and still works for the people
who passed it onto me
"It" being the processes at work
Trust the Process (this one being the processes inplace at work)
Oh yeh we no longer work in the same building
we are now friends... now thats a gift YeY!!

going to any lengths at work and work their processes
also helped "the management"
see where their process needs changing
or not, it makes there inventory taking easier!!
Well it did for our place
ONLY when there were a few of us actually
doing what was required, instead of cutting corners

I am grateful to be able to look back at the past
without regret, remorse, shame

I have had some REALLY kind, patient and tolerent people
around me at work over the years
Its not a given that the people
who are paid to train & manage, actually do
I never REALLY saw at the time how much
help, skills, knowledge, kindness
and a certain amount of love too... even at work
Love, unconditional love, the one with no strings

Some times I need to stop and take a look back to see
what it was like, what happened and
what its like now
inside me and outside of me
it really is about change
continual willingness & openness to change
and be changed

Go for Gold, mine it and give it away
Have faith, it works - it really does
:-)

Big Book Alcoholics Anonymous

1 comment:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

yep. id agree with that. i feel really good when i give something back. great!